Twenty-six texts found in the Hittite capital of Hattusa dating from the fifteenth–thirteenth centuries B.C.E. contain references to a land known as “Ahhiyawa,” which most scholars now identify with the Late Bronze Age Mycenaean world. The subject of continuing study and controversy since they were first published in 1924, the letters are still at the center of Mycenaean-Hittite studies and are now considered in studies and courses concerned with Troy, the Trojan War, and the role of both Mycenaeans and Hittites in that possible conflict. This volume offers, for the first time in a single source, English translations of all twenty-six Ahhiyawa texts and a commentary and brief exposition on each text's historical implications. The volume also includes an introductory essay to the whole Ahhiyawa “problem” as well as a longer essay on Mycenaean-Hittite interconnections and the current state of the discipline.
- ☛ ISBN13: 9781589832688
- ☛ Condition: New
- ☛ Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
- Binding: Paperback
- Brand: Brand: Society of Biblical Literature
- Product Group: Book
- Product Type Name: ABIS_BOOK
- Manufacturer: Society of Biblical Literature
- Publication Date: 2011-12-12
- ISBN: 158983268X
- Publisher: Society of Biblical Literature
- Studio: Society of Biblical Literature
- Number Of Pages: 320
- Price: $26.59