The author draws from decades of research to deconstruct popular myths, misconceptions, and educational practices that undercut the achievement of low-income students. Gorski carefully describes the challenges that students in poverty face and the resiliencies they and their families draw upon. Most importantly, this book provides specific, evidence-based strategies for teaching youth by creating equitable, bias-free learning environments. Written in an appealing conversational tone, this resource will help teachers and school leaders to better reach and teach students in poverty.
- A conceptual framework for creating equitable educational opportunities for low- and middle-income youth.
- Instructional strategies based on an analysis of more than 20 years of research on what works (and what doesn’t work).
- A depiction of teachers, not as the problem when it comes to the achievement gap, but as champions of students.
- Activities such as a Poverty and Class Awareness Quiz.
- ☛ Reaching and Teaching Students in Poverty Strategies for Erasing the Opportunity Gap
- Binding: Paperback
- Brand: Gorski Paul C
- Product Group: Book
- Product Type Name: ABIS_BOOK
- Manufacturer: Teachers College Press
- Part Number: 9780807754573
- Publication Date: 2013-09-14
- ISBN: 0807754579
- Publisher: Teachers College Press
- Studio: Teachers College Press
- Number Of Pages: 216
- Price: $29.79